Opportunities to engage faculty members and students in research activities
Buildings and Landmarks
Chapel of the Crucified Christ
Built in 1927 by Architect Andres Luna San Pedro under the leadership of Rev. Mother Saint Javier Vermeerch,SPC, it was inaugurated by the Apostolic Nuncio Guiglielmo Piani.
By surviving the ravages of World War II, this chapel is considered as the SPC Congregation's oldest historical building in the Philippines. When the Philippines was bombed on December 8, 1941, the school had to close and its future was placed in jeopardy. Japanese soldiers occupied the school compound and in 1945, during the battle of Manila, the Japanese army burned and blew up the chapel. When the Sisters were able to return, the found the remains of more than 120 massacred victims inside the chapel.
Almost 50 years ago, on December 12, 1957, a new theater was inaugurated by St. Paul College of Manila along Herran St. (now Pedro Gil) in tree-lined Malate. It was the Fleur-de-Lis Auditorium, and in due time it would become home to the musical theater tradition that the SPCM would gain fame for, producing such theater, dance, and entertainment luminaries as Cecille Guidote, Charo Santos, Celeste Legaspi, June Keithley, Baby and Maniya Barredo, Tina Santos, Pinky Marquez, Joy Soler, Noemi Manikan, and the Revilla sisters. Under the tutelage of such teachers as Fr. James Reuter and Daisy Avellana, these talents would turn the Fleur-de-Lis into “the Broadway of Herran.”
That legacy is surely treasure enough. But another, equally remarkable treasure stood outside the theater itself, in the foyer, a gift of the architect who designed and built the Fleur-de-Lis and similar structures on St. Paul’s other campuses. Seeing the Fleur-de-Lis in Manila as his crowning achievement, Architect Jose L. Reynoso asked his Angono townmate — a brilliant painter by the name of Carlos “Botong” Francisco, much later to be named a National Artist — to do a large mural that would be the centerpiece of the theater lobby, looming high above the theater-goers and making them part, as it were, of the tradition that was its subject.
“The Evolution of Philippine Culture,” as the 3.5-by-4.5-meter mural in oil came to be known upon its completion, was unveiled along with the theater itself, and so has been part and parcel of St. Paul’s and Manila’s theater and cultural history. No better proof exists of how closely wedded the mural is to the theater than the fact that its two uppermost corners are trimmed to conform to the shape of the wall where the pilaster meets the cornice.
Designed by Arch. Emmanuel R. Gatus, the museum located beneath the Chapel of the Crucified Christ showcases 100 years of SPC mission in Manila and the Philippines.
What's in the Museum?
St. Paul Building (SPB)
What's in SPB?
Mass Comm Laboratory
Radio / TV Production Laboratories
Pere Louis Chauvet (PLC)
What's in PLC?
Canteen and Bookstore
College of Arts, Sciences and Education
Student Discipline Office
College of Nursing and Allied Health Sciences
Student Affairs Office
Mere Marie Anne de Tilly (MMAT)
What's in MMAT?
Information & Communication Technology
Community Development Center
College of Business and Management
Education Demo Rooms