PDT nabs Three-Peat Crown in MMAC Street Dance

News image


St. Paul Manila’s Paulinian Dance Troupe (PDT) bagged their third consecutive title on March 24, 2019 in the 6th Metro Manila Athletic Conference (MMAC) Street Dance Competition held in St. Paul Unive

Date: March 22, 2020Posted by: One Paulinian

by Myle Ysobe

St. Paul Manila’s Paulinian Dance Troupe (PDT) bagged their third consecutive title on March 24, 2019 in the 6th Metro Manila Athletic Conference (MMAC) Street Dance Competition held in St. Paul University Quezon City.
 The theme for this year’s Hip-Hop Category was ‘Determined, Unified and Inspired!’ which drove the PDT to showcase their skills while applying the Paulinian core values in the challenging dance battle.
During the competition, St. Paul University Manila competed against World Citi Colleges Quezon City (WCCQC), St. Joseph College, and St. Paul University Quezon City (SPUQC) for the title and prize money of 10,000 pesos.
The students from SPUQC were the first set to hype the crowd. They definitely dropped the bomb after dressing and moving like soldiers in chic pony-tails. A short clip or VTR of their dance was flashed on the screen as they assembled like an army dominating the crowd.
They were followed by a pop of color as the dancers from WCCQC arrived in sporty orange attires. Their fresh style lit up the dance floor with a powerful performance. The second performance was followed by a quick intermission number by Nicole Castro, one of the SPUQC student government hosts for this event, who sang a Katy Perry song, “Thinking of You.”
The third group was from St. Joseph College. They came out in yellow striped jackets that added flair to their electrifying, synchronized performance.
Finally, the last set of dancers had Paulinians cheering at the top of their lungs. For this show, PDT dancers stepped out in black leather jeans with a touch of green and a ton of confidence. Prepared for an unexpected hot performance, the PDT laid it all out on the table and left the wild crowd wanting more. The deafening noise was only toned down by an intermission number from WCCQC as they danced to the song “Rude Boy” by Rihanna.
 Students from various schools came to support their classmates and cheer for their representatives. The event officially started at 1:45 P.M. with a brief message from one of the Sisters of SPUQC saying, “We want to show everyone that we excel not only in academics or athletics, but also in rhythm and dancing, and in expressing ourselves. We welcome each other like friends, brothers, and sisters. Welcome and a blessed Sunday to everyone!”
The participating groups in the street dance competition consisted of 7-15 members and had to dance for a maximum of five minutes. The four competing teams were judged according to the following criteria: 60% based on the performance criteria with the categories of creativity, spacing, formation, staging, showmanship, attire, entertainment value, and variety of styles, while the remaining 40% was for the skills, such as musicality, timing, execution, and difficulty of styles.
The winners of the MMAC Street Dance Battle 3 are as follows (in ascending order): Saint Joseph College of Quezon City, Saint Paul University of Quezon City and the champion, Saint Paul University Manila, the three-peat defending champion of the MMAC Street Dance Battle.
The participating student-athlete-dancers of PDT are the following: Ace Magat, Analou Santos, Bea Angelica Anceno, Brigido III Mistula, Divine Abonitalla, Elaine Pascua, Essie Tamayo, Iyah Lagula, Jerwin Francobet, Joaquin Luis Sayo, Mariah Santander, Orville Jean Talosig, Paul Angelo Fullo, Phoebe Kaye Villamayor, and Theressa Alibio.
In an interview with some of the PDT members, they shared their experiences in preparing for this event. Orville Jean Talosig mentioned that they had trouble with conflicts in schedule ever since Grade 12, but managed to do regular body conditioning and training every day. They had to pour in extra effort as their practices would even stretch until 7:00 P.M., Talosig shared.
“Sobrang enjoy and at the same time, may halong pagod at kaba kasi we are aiming for three-peat eh,” Brigido Mistula said. “So, we needed to push more effort para ma-defend namin yung title namin since two weeks lang kami nag-practice (We really enjoyed despite the exhaustion and nervousness because we were aiming for a three-peat. We needed to exert more effort in order to defend the title despite having only two weeks of preparation and practice time.”)